Both wired and wireless systems offer ample home security. Nevertheless, some major differences between wired and wireless you must understand to make an informed decision.
Each system type differs, so it is essential to identify which system is better for your unique security needs.
Let’s understand the pros and cons of wired and wireless alarms systems.
Wired alarm system
A wired alarm system communicates via attached wires around your house. Every sensor is connected physically to a control panel as well as to a remote monitoring company via a landline.
- Considered to be more reliable because each part is connected physically, so no chance of hacking.
- The system is hardwired in your main power supply network, which means no concerns about battery changes.
- The range is not a problem with a wired alarm system. It doesn’t matter if the sensors are one kilometer away. They just need to be connected with wires to the control panel for communication.
- Installation is complex, so needs a professional installer.
- Holes need to be drilled in walls.
- Landlines are easy to breach.
- Wiring is all around the house, which can be ugly.
Wireless alarm system
A wireless system uses secure radio frequencies to communicate. Control panel communicates with alarm monitoring company via Wi-Fi.
- Easy installation….mount the control panel, place the sensors, insert batteries, and the security system is installed.
- Wireless alarm system needs extra knowledge about how to disable.
- Flexibility to add extra cameras or sensors.
- The house looks attractive without wires.
- Radio frequencies can obstruct communication between the control panel and sensors. Hackers can set the false alarm or disable the system [it is rare].
- The distance can limit reliability in vast properties. If your property is spread across more than 400 sq. meters then a wireless system is not a good fit.
- Regular maintenance as the system is battery-powered.
Which is better? – Both are reliable and perform equally well. Choose any one you prefer, but make sure to use and maintain it properly!